100th birth anniversary of Indira Gandhi celebrated across the nation
19 November 2017 marked the birth centenary of former prime minister Indira
Key events related to Indira Gandhi:
1. She was the first and, to date, the only female Prime Minister of India
2. She served as Prime Minister from January 1966 to March 1977 and again
from January 1980 until her assassination in October 1984, making her the
second longest-serving Indian prime minister after Jawaharlal Nehru.
3. She became prime minister in 1966, she was a member of the Rajya Sabha
4. She nationalized 14 scheduled commercial banks on 13 July 1969 through an
5. 1971 Bangladesh liberation war.
6. She imposed national emergency between 1975 to 1977 where basic civil
rights were curtailed and press freedom was censored.
7. In 1980, when Gandhi was re-elected as the Prime Minister for her third term
at the PMO, she initiated the second phase of bank nationalisation, it involves 6
8. she made 42nd Amendment which inserted the two words ‘Socialist &
Secular’ in the preamble of Indian constitution.
9. She hosted 7th Non-Aligned Summit, she clearly conveyed to the world that
the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) was a guarantee to secure the liberty of
people and to ensure peace and harmony in the world.
10. Operation “Blue star” in 1984
11. In 1999, Indira was named " Woman of the Millennium" in an online poll
organised by the BBC.
6 Months Telugu Current Affairs Practice Bits Download