Indian Polity and Constitution:
- Indian Constitution and its salient features.
- Functions and duties of the Indian Union and the State Governments.
- Issues and challenges pertaining to the Federal structure — Role
of Governor in States.
- Distribution of powers between the Union and States (Union list,
State list and Concurrent list) — Issues and challenges.
- Rural and Urban Local Governance under 73rd and 74th
- Constitutional Authorities and their Role.
- Parliament and State Legislatures — structure, functioning,
conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of
- Judiciary in India — Structure and functions, important
provisions relating to emergency and constitutional
amendments, judicial review, Public Interest Litigation.
Public Administration and Governance:
- Meaning, Nature and Scope of Public Administration — Evolution
in India —Administrative ideas in Kautilya's Arthashastra; Mughal
administration; Legacy of British rule.
- Role of Civil Services in Democracy.
- Government policies and interventions for development in various
sectors and issues and problems of implementation.
- Development processes - the role of civil society, NGOs and other stakeholders.
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial authorities.
- Good governance and e-governance- Transparency,
accountability and responsiveness in governance — Citizen's
Charter. RTI, Public Service Act and their implications, Concept
of Social Audit and its importance.
Ethics in Public Service (Human Values and Ethics in Public Service)
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and Consequences of
Ethics in Human actions: dimensions of Ethics: Ethics in Private and Public
relationships, Ethics-integrity and Accountability in Public Service.
- Concept of Public Service, ”Philosophical basis of Governance professional
Ethics in the light of right understanding and Vision for Holistic Technologies,
Codes of Ethics, codes of Conduct, RTI, Public Service Act, Leadership Ethics,
Work culture, Ethical principles with in an Organisational content.
- Attitude: Content, Functions, its influence and relation with thought and
behaviour, Moral and Political attitudes, role of Social influence and persuasion.
- Human values: Understanding the Harmony in existence-understating human
existence as Co-existence. Happiness and Harmony in the family, Human
relationships in the society and in the Nature. Gender Equability in the
- Role of family, society and Educational Institutions in imparting values to citizens,
lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and
- Emotional intelligence-Concepts and their utilities and application in
Administration and Governance.
- Issues and challenges in Ethics-
Ethical and moral values in governance, Ethical issues in international relations,
corruption, Lokpal, Lokayukta.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and Philosophers in India.
- Case studies in the above areas (15 to 22)
D) Basic Knowledge of Law in India
- Constitution : Basic structure of constitution – Fundamental Rights – Directive
Principles of State Policy. Bifurcation of powers between Centre and State and
concurrent Powers. Powers of Judiciary, Executive and Legislature.
- Criminal Law : Concept of Criminal punishment – Introduction to CrPC and IPC :
Basic concepts New developments in Laws against sexual harassment – Laws
relating to atrocities against Women and Children.
- Company Law – Meaning and components of Intellectual Property Rights – Laws
relating to International Business relocation and Foreign Direct Investment –
Laws governing listed companies.
- Labour Laws : Basic concepts of Law relating to ESI, EPF, Minimum
Wages, Equal Remuneration, Labour Welfare Fund, Materiality Benefit,
Prevention of sexual harassment at work place, Recent trends in
women security laws.
- Civil Law : Basics of CPC – Difference between Order and Decree – Hierarchy of
writs in India
- Cyber Laws and Internet of Things : Cyber Law in view of recent technological
advancements – Trends in administration of Cyber Law – Cyber Security and
Cyber Crime – Jurisdiction in Cyber Crime
- Economic Laws : Concepts of economics in Indian administration and legal
perspective. International business and economic policy – Role of RBI in
investments in India: governing of regulations of cash flow into and out of Indian
- Tax Laws : Laws relating to Income, Profits, Wealth Tax, Corporate Tax – GST.
No chapters were added for this Exam